the ford mansion - morristown national historical parkwashington headquarters museum - morristown national historical parkjockey hollow - morristown national historical parkfort nonsence - morristown national historical parkplan visit to morristown nj

The Morristown National Historical Park Dedication


July 4, 1933, dedication of Morristown National Historical Park. Pictured left to right are U.S. Secretary of the Interior Harold L. Ickes; New Jersey Governor A. Harry Moore; unknown; Morristown Mayor Clyde Potts; Lloyd Smith, park benefactor and Washington Association of New Jersey member; and Frank L. Bergen, President of the Washington Association of New Jersey. Also present at the dedication ceremony was Horace Albright, Director of the National Park Service.

Morristown National Historical Park dedication

 

Above is the invitation to the historic event.

 

The Morristown Record reported the next day, July 5, 1933:

“The first national historical park in the United States became a reality yesterday when under ideal conditions and with perfect weather, the program of dedication of important historical buildings and 1,500 acres of land for federal park purposes took place as part of the celebration of Independence Day…the ceremonies… took place on the grounds of Washington Headquarters with 3,000 people in attendance…Following the series of addresses, three volleys were fired and taps sounded after which the Rev. Father M.J. Toohey pronounced the benediction…”


Today, the Morristown National Historical Park, of which Washington' s Headquarters is the nucleus, includes the Museum and Library, Fort Nonsense, Jockey Hollow, and the New Jersey Brigade area, totaling more than 1700 acres. The Association is the advisory body to the Morristown National Historical Park.