History of the Ford Mansion:
Auction of Washington Headquarters - 1873
Creation of Washington Association of New Jersey - 1874
The Ford Mansion was constructed in the years of 1772-1774 by Colonel Jacob Ford, Jr., a successful operator of a forge, iron mine, and powder mill.
The house design conformed to the Early Georgian style, featuring a symmetrical facade and room arrangement, with a spacious central hall, extending front to rear.
When Washington took up his quarters at the Ford Mansion from December 1, 1779, to June 23, 1780, the military party took over approximately three-fourths of the house, with the remainder housing Theodosia Ford, the Colonel' s widow, and her four children. In early 1780, Washington had a separate log kitchen annex constructed on the east side to expand the cooking space. By the 1840s, the Ford family had converted the detached kitchen to a full two-story wing as it appears today.