Plan Your Visit to Morristown
Washington's Headquarters at the Georgian-Style Ford Mansion and the Headquarters Museum of the American Revolution at Morristown National Historical Park
MNHP is open Wednesday-Sunday, 9:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Tours of the Ford Mansion start at 10 a.m.
See Here for further information.
Allow 1 and a half hours for check-in, ticketing and tour of Mansion. Allow 1 1/2 hours for viewing Museum galleries.
Lunch - Morristown
Click here to choose from Morristown's many fine eating establishments
Tour Historic Downtown Morristown - Morristown Green in Center of Town
The Green is a preserved "open" space since 1715. Originally the community's common pasture land
Served as military parade ground during American Revolution
Allow one hour
Visit Fort Nonsense - Just west of Town Center
West on Washington Street, left on Western, Left on Ann, Right on Chestnut.
Follow map of Central Morristown for nearby sites, including historic cemetary, Morristown Presbyterian Church and Dr. Condict's House.
Explore Jockey Hollow, Morristown National Historical Park
Encampment site of Continental Army, American Revolution
Drive 3 miles west of Morristown on Mt. Kemble Avenue/Rte 202
See Visitor's Center, Soldier's Huts, the Wick House, Colonial Farmstead.
Allow 2 hours
Historic Morristown Area - Historic Sites
Click to download Points of Interest Map
Click here to download Walking Tour
Enjoy a Walking Tour of Morristown
Stop 1: Morris County Tourism Bureau, 6 Court Street
Welcome to Morristown, county seat of Morris. Our town was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and expanded in 1986 to include 700 civic, commercial and residential buildings. Originally settled c. 1715, the town grew after the discovery of iron in the surrounding hills. General George Washington brought the Continental Army twice to the area for winter encampments. Stop by the office to plan your stay and to pick up maps, brochures and coupons. The Tourism Bureau offers programming such as guided tours and scavenger hunts, and has a gift shop. The office is open Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. and Saturday mornings during the summer.
Stop 2: Morris County Courthouse, Washington & Court Streets
This is the county’s third courthouse, built in 1827, and one of the best examples in New Jersey of a public building in the Federal style. For many years bells rang from the belfry to signal the start of court and to alert the town if there was a fire. The wooden Lady Justice above the front entrance holds a scale to symbolize the balanced judicial system and a sword to represent the protection of individual rights. Note she is not blindfolded. Court Room One has been preserved to look as it did in 1827.
Stop 3: First Baptist Church, 51 Washington Street
This is the second oldest congregation in Morristown, established in June 1752. This is the congregation’s fourth church building, built in 1892. The church was originally located on the Green and served as a hospital for smallpox victims at the time of the American Revolution. This Romanesque Revival church suffered a devastating fire in 2000 and has been restored.
Stop 4: Arnold’s Tavern Plaque, 20 N. Park Place
The blue State of NJ heritage plaque marks the site of General George Washington’s headquarters during the winter of 1777, following his victories at Trenton and Princeton. It was here that Washington issued the proclamation requiring all people in America to swear allegiance to the United States. The tavern was built c. 1764 by Samuel Arnold and operated for 100 years before it was moved to Mount Kemble Avenue after the owner planned to raze it.The building served as a boarding house, then All Souls Hospital, before burning in 1918. Arnold’s Tavern was a popular tourist attraction following the American Revolution, and people came from around the world to visit the site because of its association with George Washington.
Stop 5: Morristown Green, Town Center
The 2.5 acre Green dates from 1715, appearing on early maps of the area. Originally used as pasture land for early settlers, during the American Revolution it was used as a military parade ground. The Green was the site of the first county courthouse and jail, early churches and commercial buildings. Important statues on the Green are “Soldier at Rest” (1871), “Patriot’s Farewell” (2001) and “The Alliance” statue of Washington, Hamilton and Lafayette (2007). The privately-owned public park underwent a major renovation in 2007, with the addition of plaques that explain the history of the Green. Other places of note in and around the Green include the granite “E Pluribus Unum” medallion in the central plaza, the Liberty Pole, the stone marker for the first courthouse, the time capsule, the American Elm tree, the Methodist Church, the Post Office, and the plaques that tell the stories of the Alexander Carmichael House and Continental Storehouse. Relax near the Patriot’s Farewell fountain, the central plaza’s puddingstone bench or by the game tables. The Morristown Green is one of only two greens in New Jersey to have survived down to the present day and remains central to the life of the town, hosting political and cultural events throughout the year.
Stop 6: Patriots Memorial Frieze, 1 N. Park Place & Speedwell Ave.
Twelve medallions along the upper part of the Century 21 Department Store building feature founders and important citizens of Morristown. Five of the twelve medallions depict persons interred in the Presbyterian Church Burying Ground across the street. Among those featured are Reverend Timothy Johnes, Jacob Arnold, Jacob Ford, Jr., Alfred Vail, Silas Condict and Tempe Wick.
Stop 7: Morris Frank and “Buddy” Statue, Island between N. Park Place and E. Park Place
The statue is by J. Seward Johnson of the founder of “The Seeing Eye”, Morris Frank, and his dog “Buddy”. “The Seeing Eye” is located in nearby Morris Township and was North America’s first dog guide school, established in 1929. The statue was placed near the Green in 2005.
Stop 8: Presbyterian Church & Burying Ground, 57 E. Park Place
This was the first congregation founded in Morristown, c. 1733. The current edifice (1893) is the third on the site. The Gothic Chapel on the left of the main building dates from 1863. The graveyard behind the church is the final resting place of over 1,700 individuals. The earliest tombstone is dated 1731, and fully 1,500 of those at rest died prior to 1850, including 138 who served in the American Revolution. The church served as a hospital for victims of smallpox in 1777. It is believed that an untold number of victims of the epidemic were buried in one or more mass graves at that time.
Stop 9: Sansay House, 17 DeHart Street
This was the residence of Monsieur Louis Sansay, a Frenchman from Santo Domingo, built in 1807. Sansay was Morristown’s dancing master and taught classes here. On July 14, 1825 a banquet was held here in honor of the “Nation’s Guest”, the Marquis de Lafayette. From 1872 to 1880 this was the home of General Joseph Warren Revere, Civil War Brigadier-Commander and Paul Revere’s grandson. Private offices.
Stop 10: General Porter House, 1 Farragut Place
This Victorian is in the Colonial Revival design with Queen Anne details. It was built between 1880 and 1890 by General Fitz John Porter. Educated at West Point, he served during the Civil War under General Robert E. Lee. Note the unusual double bay windows which face Macculloch Avenue. Private home.
Stop 11: Admiral Rogers House, 40 Macculloch Avenue
This is a vernacular Victorian home in the Gothic Revival style, built in 1852 by C. Raymond Perry Rogers. Admiral Rogers was the superintendent of the Naval Academy from 1874 to 1878. Rogers was the nephew of three naval commanders, including Oliver Hazard Perry. The wisteria which hangs from the front porch was a gift from Commodore Matthew C. Perry whose historic 1854 expedition opened Japan to western trade. Private home.
Stop 12: Macculloch Hall, 45 Macculloch Avenue
This Federal style brick mansion was built between 1810 to 1819 by George Perrot Macculloch, the “Father of the Morris Canal”. It is the oldest brick structure in Morristown on its original foundation. Five generations of the Macculloch family have lived here. It is now a house museum which holds 18th and 19th century decorative arts and the largest collection of works by political cartoonist and former neighbor Thomas Nast. The garden behind the mansion is the oldest in Morris County and is open dawn to dusk each day. It holds many varieties of roses, some unique to this garden. The first documented “Jersey” tomato was grown here. Wisteria from Commodore Perry’s Japan expedition hangs from the back porch.
Stop 13: The Kedge, 49 Macculloch Avenue
This unusual home was built between 1870 and 1880 by Henry Miller, a grandson of George Macculloch. Originally built as a summer cottage, generations of Maccullochs have lived here. Henry Miller had a distinguished career as a lieutenant commander in the U.S. Navy. A kedge” is a small anchor. Private home.
Stop 14: Villa Fontana: Thomas Nast House, 50 Macculloch Avenue
The site is one of four National Historic Landmarks in Morris County. It derives its name from the front yard’s fountain which has the original basin. The house was built c. 1865 in the Second Empire style, and received landmark status in 1964. Renovations have resulted in the neo-classical Victorian seen today. This was home to political cartoonist, Thomas Nast, and his family from 1872 to 1902. Nast created the images of Columbia, Santa Claus, the Republican Elephant, Democratic Donkey, Tammany Tiger and Uncle Sam. His cartoons influenced the outcomes of several presidential elections. The interiors of the home and surrounding streetscapes appeared in many of Nast’s drawings. Guests to the Nasts’ home included Mark Twain and Ulysses S. Grant. Private home.
Stop 15: St. Peter’s Episcopal Church & Graveyard, South and Miller Streets
Congregation was founded in 1827 and met originally at Macculloch Hall. This church, in the Gothic Revival style with a Norman tower, was built beginning in 1897 and was designed by the New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White. Inside is a carillon with bells cast in England, imported stained glass windows, a chapel window of Tiffany glass and a Spanish rood screen. Since no stone was put in place until it was paid for, the church took 24 years to complete. In the graveyard are many Macculloch family members, Millers, Fords and Vails, including Alfred Vail, co-inventor of the electromagnetic telegraph with Samuel F.B. Morse. The unusual table-top gravestones were used by family members who would visit their loved ones and picnic in the graveyard.
Stop 16: Joint Free Public Library of Morristown and Morris Township, 1 Miller Road
Originally was the site of the Library and Lyceum which opened in 1878 and hosted the most celebrated performers and lecturers of the day including Mark Twain, Henry Ward Beecher and Woodrow Wilson. It was destroyed by fire in 1914. This library, in Gothic Revival style, was built to harmonize with St. Peter’s Episcopal Church and dates from 1917. Colored glass medallions feature Columbus’ ships, printers’ marks and monograms of five great American poets. The library houses a children’s department and the North Jersey History and Genealogy Center. Thomas Nast’s monumental original cartoon, “Swinging Round the Circle,” hangs in the library. This cartoon was part of his 1867 Grand Caricaturama show which toured the US. The cartoon was restored and hung in 1990.
Stop 17: Vail Mansion, 110 South Street
Located at the end of a long reflecting pool is a home built for Theodore Vail, chief architect of the Bell System, twice its president, and cousin of Alfred Vail, co-inventor of the electromagnetic telegraph. In the Italian Renaissance palazzo style, it was built of marble and granite by 1918 to house Vail’s art collections. Beginning in 1922 it served as Morristown’s Town Hall. It now serves as a centerpiece for new luxury residences. Note the bronze doors of the mansion which feature eight panels depicting important events in Morristown history.
Stop 18: Wood Farmhouse, 83 South Street
Recently restored, the Wood farmhouse dates from the late 18th century and was home for many generations to the prominent James Wood family. On July 14, 1825 the Marquis de Lafayette slept here during his visit to Morristown as the “Nation’s Guest”. From 1922 to 1961 it housed the Woman’s Work and Art Exchange, a non-profit organization that served as a retail outlet for women selling their hand-made goods. The house has been used as commercial space and is owned by the library.
Stop 19: Dr. Lewis Condict House, 51 South Street
Dr. Lewis Condict was a nephew of Silas Condict and member of the Continental Congress. Dr. Condict built this 1797 Federal style residence. A local politician, physician and businessman, he graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, was the first President of the Morris County Medical Society, served three years as President of the NJ Medical Society and Second Vice President of the American Medical Society. Dr. Condict introduced a new British smallpox vaccine to America by publicly inoculating his two-year-old daughter on the front steps. On July 14, 1825, Dr. Condict gave the welcoming address to General Lafayette on his return to Morristown as the “Nation’s Guest”. In 1936 the Woman’s Club of Morristown purchased the home from members of the Seth Thomas clock family and are the current conservators of the house.
Stop 20: Church of the Redeemer, 36 South Street
This Gothic Revival Church was built in 1917 to replace a prior structure built here in 1886. The congregation was founded by a group of Morristown citizens in 1852 who were former members of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church. The parish campus contains three separate stone structures: a Norman Gothic church seating 375, a two-story Parish House, and a twelve-room rectory. The first church wardens were William Duer, former president of Columbia College in New York City, and Alfred Vail, co-inventor with Samuel F. B. Morse of the electromagnetic telegraph.